Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Denise's Assignment

As part of our mini workshop this past week, we were required to complete a homework assignment by Denise.  As a Globaloria teacher who is focused on the social issues, I really hadn't considered myself as using anything towards civics, but when she connected news literacy and citizenship to it I thought maybe it could be relevant. 


As usual, my creativity is non-existent, but I can search for anything!  :-)  So, since I really didn't have much of an idea of what type of games to do, I looked on Google for ideas.  Some topics I found were the boundaries between entertainment and the news, digital citizenship (raising a generation of responsible, smart, and safe digital citizens), political awareness, the economy and poverty, and foreign affairs.


Some game ideas using these topics could be:
A game that gives the player choices between real and fake news and has them in some kind of competition in which they earn and lose points according to their choices.

A game that involves the player as a member of a jury or a position as a political leader in congress and has them making decisions.

A racing game in which the player must earn laps by learning about current events as related to politics.

A financial literacy type of game dealing with our current economic concerns in efforts to avoid poverty.

An adventure game in which the player travels to other countries to become more aware of foreign affairs including their governmental structures and economy.

No comments: